Sunday 14 August 2016

Grand Tour of the North Day 21 The climb to the summit of Ben Vrackie

I knew today was going to be a challenging one as I was planning to walk up Ben Vrackie 841 metres 2,760 feet. This was for me the highest I had climb & wasn't sure if I was up to the challenge, but I was determined to give it ago.
Firstly I had to get to Moulin which was a mile from Pitlochry & I had to walk.
I followed the A924 until I reached the pretty village of Moulin & then up a narrow lane to the car park situated at the beginning of a footpath which would lead to the foot of Ben Vrackie.
Right from the start it was up hill through a wooded area. I went from 200m to 300m. By this time I was out of the woodland & out into the open gorse all around.
The path was OK made of stones & rock & i was still climbing,  now 400m.
I was walking with 3 others who were doing it for the first time.
I was keeping up with them to my surprise,  they kept me motivated.
It wasn't a race to the summit & stopped ofter.
Even though I was walking on bolders it was hard going, but I was determined to get to the top. I had now reached 500m I rest for 5 mins at Loch a'choire. It was a large Loch. I could see it was misty over the summit & was hoping it would clear when I arrived at the summit. Having had a rest & a drink it was onwards & upwards as the saying goes.
From here it was an even steeper climb & bolders were formed into steps & it was getting harder, but I just kept going. I had now gone from 500m to 700m walkers were coming down & giving us some encouragement.  One said joking there's a pub at the summit.... If only that was true....
I had reached 800m & more walkers were coming down, one guy said it's very cold & couldn't see because of the mist which by now I was walking into.
Finally I had reached the summit & stood by the ( Cairn) the group I had walked up with took my photo & I took there's.  Sadly I couldn't admire the views because of the mist & it was bloody freezing. But I had achieved something I didn't I would be able to do.... But I did.
Having only stayed on the summit for a short while it was decided to come back down & have sandwiches at 600m From here you could get a fantastic view, just a shame we couldn't at the summit.
Having eaten & rested it was down all the way & soon back at the bottom.
Walked back to Moulin village to the pub for a well deserved pint.





















No comments:

Post a Comment