Monday 15 August 2016

Grand Tour of the North Day 22 Kelvingrove Park & Museum

After arriving in Queens St station Glasgow from Pitlochry I made my way to the subway. Kelvinbridge was the nearest stop to the hostel at Kelvingrove over looking the park. It was good to be here again. I had arrived early, but told the room was ready. Having took my case up to room 114 I was pleasantly surprised lovely en-suite.  The hostel had just under gone a refurbishment but it was great to see the lovely original staircase hadn't been changed.
Having familiarised with the layout. I headed out into the beautiful Kelvingrove Park. It's one of the oldest parks in Glasgow & the River Kelvin runs through it separating the park in two There's some wonderful statues/monuments dotted around including one of Lord Kevin  & there's a beautiful fountain. Also so within the grounds is a wonderful outdoor theatre.
There's 3 bridges that cross the river,  having crossed by the wide stone bridge used by Park maintenance vehicles I had joined the main road that runs between the two halfs of the park. Following the road I crossed another stone bridge to reach Kelvingrove museum. This is a very imposing & impressive building very Victorian gothic in style. I visited the museum before & would highly recommend it. It's free & you only pay for special exhibitions.
There was a exhibition mummified animals from ancient Egypt which was very interesting.  What I like about the museum is it's diversity, there's something for everyone from art, Scottish history, ancient Egypt, military including medieval armour. Prehistoric history.  There's even a Spitfire plane & much much more.
Definitely worth a visit.


























No comments:

Post a Comment