Friday 5 August 2016

Grand Tour of the North Day 12 Perth to Aberdeen

Suitcase packed & it was time to move on to my next destination The Granite City Aberdeen.  I've only stayed there once before & the hostel, like Perth is a mile or two out from the city centre &  I will need to get a bus.
I arrived at Perth a bit early.. an hour early in fact, but I didn't mind as I could admire the station & it's wonderful design although I'm not keen on the brown
In contrast platform 2 is much brighter with its Scotrail blue & White.
The train to Aberdeen arrived on time, boarded & found a window seat.
I remembered this journey from before & knew the view from the window would be a splendid one.
Travelling out of Perth the route follows the river Tay crossing it twice then drifting out of sight  it's golden yellow fields with flashes of the North Sea.
As we approach the first station the river & sea meet & the old Dundee docks come in to view.  As the trains pull out of this station you can imagine at one time this was a busy port.
Next station we arrived at was Arbroath no grand station but had some character, at least it was bright.  Onwards to Montrose golden yellow fields & solar panels with  short glimpses of the sea along this stretch of the route & the occasional sandy beach thrown in.
Crossing the the train approach Montrose, more modern looking station... Well if you count shelters instead of station buildings.  Departing its more of the same fields, sea & odd sandy beach. At point we do go into a cutting a the a bit of dense woodland. But soon it's back to sea & sand once more.  As the  train approached  Aberdeen a cityscape appears The Granite City & I have arrived at my destination.










No comments:

Post a Comment