Saturday 13 August 2016

Grand Tour of the North Day 20 killiecrankie Loch Fiscally

Today was a good day for a walk lovely sunshine. The walk I had planned was 15-16 miles it was actually 20 miles 2 diversion were in place do to storm Desmond had caused damage to 2 bridges, 1 deemed unsafe & other had collapsed.
The walk started when I crossed Clunie footbridge the path /Road takes you past the Festival Theatre ( last time I was here 2009 I saw the play the prime of miss Jean Brodie & it was here in Pitlochry I met my Danish friend Louise)
Passing the theatre I reached the Hydro dam & the salmon ladder. I got a glimpse of the salmon, but the best was to come.
Following a narrow path just beyond the dam, Loch Faskally can be seen & from here you get a lovely view Craigower 350m & above that Ben Vrackie 841m
Having decended steps on a small wooden bridge I then had to climb steps back up on the other side. Following the path at the end of the Loch the path then follows the old Killiecrankie Road, high above is the new roadbridge to killiecrankie crossing Loch Faskally. I needed to cross the Loch using a footbridge running parallel once I had crossed I sat looking down the Loch, so beautiful I could see the hills far into the distance. I followed the path through woodland here the Loch was out of view & I didn't mind as the woodland path was equally beautiful. It wasn't long before the river came into sight. ( the river Tummel is interesting as it a dam & a Loch... Loch Faskally on its route & joins the river Gary)
I followed the contour of the river for about a mile where I reached  sign stating that the footbridge was deemed unsafe due to storm damage. I had to make my way to the A9 & use the roadside path first crossing under the railway & joining the road to killiecrankie which was 2 miles.
Finally reaching the killiecrankie visitor centre it was time for lunch. Here I could watch the birds on the feeders having their lunch too.
For the return  trip back to Pitlochry, I knew there was going to be another diversion & having visit the Soldier's leap it was time to head back via linn of Tummel a good spot for leaping salmon & White water rafting. After reaching the diversion path I had to cross the railway via a wooden bridge walk along the A9 1/4 mile & cross back over the river by using the Garry Road Bridge. From this bridge you get spectacular views down the river in either direction.. Just awesome. Following the path down & under the bridge the path takes you through woodland & the river then you reach Linn of Tummel this is a spectacular spot. This is where 2 rivers meet Garry & Tummel. The rapids, it all happens here.the salmon leaping up & groups of people in their rafts.
The path doubles back on itself following the river Tummel for a mile until I reached another footbridge Coronation bridge.
Once I crossed it I joined a narrow Road which I had to follow for 3 miles passing Clunie power station. Being a quiet road I didnt as I had some spectacular views
At the end of the lane arrive back at the dam where I had started.
It had been a fabulous walk & the weather had been perfect.  I stopped off at port-na-craig a nice restaurant by the river glass of coke & cake. A perfect reward.

























No comments:

Post a Comment