Monday 1 August 2016

Grand Tour of the North Day 8 (blog 1)

Todays adventure to me from Stirling Castle to the Wallace monument & Cambuskenneth Abbey via Gowanhill & Stirling Bridge.
I had intended to visit the castle, but it was very busy with coaches turning up & so I decided to head for the Wallace monument.  Having looked at the map & my guide I chose the best route to the monument,  to go the most interesting way & that was via Gowanhill & Stirling Bridge.
There a few points of interest from Gowanhill, the view of course, there's canons & the beheading stone. This is the stone that took many a head & it's stands on a purpose built stone plinth & protected with a grill insight of the castle & the Wallace monument.
After heading down Gowanhill I joined the road Bridge Street & having crossed the junction I reached Stirling old Bridge now only used for cyclists & pedestrians. Its not the bridge where Wallace defeated the English, that was further up the river & that was wooden.
This bridge was the first stone bridge. A few metres away is another stone bridge which takes traffic over the river.
Having crossed the bridge I followed a path until I reached the main road & head along the A91 towards Bridge of Allan with the monument insight.

Spotting the finger post sign Wallace monument 1/2mile...to me it seemed more like a mile. The path winded it's way up,  gradually at first through woodland.
The path started to get steeper as I approached half way up.... But I made to the top.  Having gazed up at the huge monument, I realised I was going to climb even further... But straight away.... Lunch first.
Having paid my admission fee I started my climb...I didn't count the steps.  There were a couple rooms to look in at the displays & catch my breath before climbing further.
Finally reaching top it was well worth it. Spectacular views.  The river Forth & Stirling Bridge,  the castle Gowanhill hill all insight.
I made my way back down, I was ready for a cup of tea & Scottish Scone in the cafe at the visitors centre which was situated at the main car park. Having refreshed myself I headed of again, next on my list was Cambuskenneth Abbey.









I'll talk about in blog 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment