Tuesday 26 July 2016

Grand Tour of the North Day 2

For a long time now I've wanted to stay at Berwick so I could explore the coastline having been told how beautiful it was... & I wasn't disappointed, it's beautiful. Having spent a couple of hours exploring the castle ramparts & the impressive defences I made my way to the coastal path.

My starting point was Magdalene golf club and I need my wits about me dodging golf balls. I headed along the path till I arrived at a caravan park and a path lead  me down on to a beautifully sheltered beach called fisherman's haven.  resting awhile taking in the tranquil & secluded splendour of it all. A most beautiful spot. I could happily stayed there for the rest of the day. But the border was calling. I climbed back up to the cliff top & continued along the coastal path sign stated Marshall Meadows & the border two & half miles... 

I passed many spectacular caves along the way saw some wonderful flowers & many varieties of butterflies in the long meadow grass. It wasn't long before I reached another holiday Park & the railway line got close too.  I had to climb the wall via a wooden ladder & make my way through the holiday Park. Some really lovely holiday homes with spectacular views of the coastline. 

Having exited the holiday Park saw a finger post, the coastal path to the Scottish border, half a mile.. I was nearly there. With 15 minutes later, I was there,  posing by the sign. Now it was time for lunch & admire the view for awhile. 

After a good hour it was time to return to Berwick-upon-Tweed. I followed the same route spotting things I missed first time round.  arriving at fisherman's haven once again. I sat for a short while, now in the shade but still looking wonderful. I climbed  the steep steps back onto the path again passing the golf course once again, this time I didn't have to dodge golf balls being deserted i continued on this time passing the coastguard tower and finishing near the Pier, I had finished the 8 mile walk. Time for a well deserved pint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment