Monday 25 July 2016

Grand Tour of the North Day 1

On the first day of my Grand Tour of the North most of the day was spent travelling from Nottingham to Berwick-upon-Tweed where I would be spending the first 3 days at the YHA.  After arriving at the station I headed into the town a 10- 15 walk.
Typically having a seaside feel with its gift shops, cafes, pubs & a added bonus of a antique shop. 
Using my sat- Nav on my mobile. I located the hostel housed in a old Mill with its own little Bistro close to the riverside.
Having booked in & ordering breakfast, I made my way to my room on the 4th floor,  luckily there's a lift.  On entering the room I met a nice Swiss lady & we exchanged names & pleasantries.
The room was nice 2 bunks & a single bed lovely on- suite bathroom.
After a short rest I set off for a explore & headed to the riverside & up onto the old castle wall,  enjoying the view of the river & the sea.
I deviated from the wall and made my way to the Pier and the lighthouse or what appeared to be (no lamp affixed)  I walked as far as I could returning along a small stretch of beach & back on the cliff top & then the path leading back to the castle ramparts, at which point I decided to return to the hostel for something to eat.  There were plenty to choose from & I had a jacket potatoe + salad & a bottle of Cumberland beer... Both went down rather well.
Feeling rather tired I returned to my room & enjoyed a relaxing shower.
As I lay on the bed composing this blog I am reminded that I am in a coastal town by the screeching gulls, a fitting end to my first day here in Berwick upon tweed

No comments:

Post a Comment